Thursday, March 5, 2015

Almost working SMD prototype

So I whipped up an etched board of my lastest revision of the thermal protection idea I'm working on, and it turned out pretty nice and ALMOST worked. Almost, because I'm an idiot and shifted the top row of pins on the TQFP package and the clock and data lines for the screen were going to button inputs instead of data lines for the screen.

It wasn't a total failure though. It's a tiny tiny double sided board and is the first home etched board I've ever assembled. All my traces lined up for the bottom to top connections, and I successfully soldered the SMD 32 TQFP package to the board and was able to communicate with it through the ISP headers I integrated to the board design - all of whose pins changed sides on the board. (#winning). I didn't bother to finish populating the connectors and last components when I found out the screen wasn't going to work.

Technically it works, just not fully.

Below is a comparison. The protoboard is about 3.2 x 2 inches and the home etched board I designed is 1.7 x 1". I've finally got the etching process down to get great etches most of the time.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have the gumption to etch a board that has the pins shifted to the proper positions :P





I also received this nifty little POGO flashing tool today from Hobby King that works on 32TQFP. It's pretty killer and is gonna allow me to get rid of the ISP pins on my board and use that room for a fun feature idea I have ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment