Sunday, December 22, 2013

Since the derbi.... Winter Break Update #2

I put expansion cones in the dumb derpi and now it does 40. Still has only one broken brake lever - need to fix that. Maybe later. Got dio 1500 clutch springs coming for it as well as the nuts I need to make a puller. So, I need to source a stronger contra and throw those springs in. Then I need to do some porting. Hmmmmm.

Did the flame trap on Brownie (no biggie) and ended up needing to do replace the alternator tensioner, water pump (leaking) and re-plumb the oil pressure sending unit on Old Yeller.



Worked on the cb125 and 100 some. Welded a replacement for the broken tank mount on the 100, washed and waxed the tank and did fork oil on both bikes. The cb125 was pretty hilarious.


Did a blow down test on the 125 and it leaked really bad past the rings. Took it apart and guess what? The rings were in a billion pieces. Hard to believe this bike still did 55mph before I tore it down and didn't grenade. The rings were such small pieces, I can't believe they didn't turn and ruin the cylinder. Amazing. I've left the cylinder head sitting with ATF in the dome for about 36 hours now - none has leaked. Thinking this things gonna be a ripper when I get it slapped back together.




The vespa does stoppies now too. So I did that (still have a speedo too woot), re-re-reinforced the exhaust and repaired the rear rack. Reinstalled the foot pegs and STILL having wheel clearance issues with the footpegs installed. Whatever. I'll deal with that tomorrow. I started a thread to deal with the partial pad contact on the vespa brakes and my concern to their longevity. Terry Dean mentioned cutting the pads so they don't hit each other when they wear and I end up with no brakes - good call Terry. Apparently it's fine to run them like this though.





Used my torch for the first time to cut the bracket out for the Vespa disk brake conversion. Worked great. Wish the hoses had gotten here in time to do the exhaust work on the derbi. That would have been fun. My dad came outside to watch and make sure I didn't blow myself up. He also took some video. I'll get that posted later.




Still left to do this break is plenty. Here's the list:

Brownie
  • Stud nuts for the A/C compressor (a couple are missing)
  • Rear pads
  • Tidy the electrical
  • Install and wire fog lights
General
  • Disassemble engine and repair first speed engagement
  • install clutch springs so clutch disengages better
  • tidy wiring
  • vinyl repair on the seat
  • disk brake exploration (drums)
Derbi
  • Clutch springs
  • Stronger contra spring
  • new lens for the headlight
Maxi
  • re-assemble top end (raided for metric coupling nuts)
  • reinforce frame
  • braze/weld bung onto tank so I don't have to use stoppers anymore
CB125
  • Reassemble engine
  • minimize massive head oil leak
  • ride
CB100
  • reinforce and clear coat side covers
  • inspect before 300mi trip to Desirae's place
Swinger 1
  • Go through the engine...
  • Considering throwing an E50 on there
Prima
  • get that piece of junk fixed and sell it for cheap
Puchonda
  • swap SL70 parts in for manual clutch and mechanical advance ignition
  • make frame repairs
  • increase exhaust backpressure

No comments:

Post a Comment