Monday, January 20, 2014

Mid January Stuff

So, it's mid January. I've come back the past two weekends to work on stuff. Most of my time was consumed with my sister's car, during which time all the family's Volvos were in the driveway of my Dad's house on a rare occasion... Last time this happened it was dark and photo opportunity was terrible. Got some great shots this time.




When I got back to my own things, I reassembled the CB125 with new rings and fixed the old tach cable with a junkyard speedo cable. The tach works, but the 125 still hits a wall at 55mph. It runs better, but still like crap. New cylinder is in order this summer (or maybe an overbore piston?). I just drilled out the old fitting that went in the case, and soldered the "new" cable in. I pulled it out of some 70's muscle car.



Then before I left last weekend, I welded a new bung on the maxi!!! Woooo! Doesn't leak either! This weekend, I got to finish it up and take it for a ride. It was glorious. Check out the top speed... I've got 4mph left to find... 55 was my old all time top speed and I even touched 60 (indicated) once. That was with my homoet 6p though and I'm running an estoril chamber now. I also almost got hit in my dad's neighborhood because some idiot was not paying attention and almost hit me head on while I was sitting still at a stop sign...


Not pictured, is finalized baffle mounting for the Derbi, time spent building a failed concept design I've been working on and some aluminum welding I did with my lincoln pro-mig 135 (it's pretty horrible, but usable). Took forever playing with the settings to get it to feed without jamming and I'm welding with ArCO2 AND it's filthy aluminum (I did scrub it with a wire brush at least) but it's promising... the spraying thing really was weird... because there's no puddle and HOLY ballz batman, turn the wire feed speed up to 11!

Currently contemplating getting a second bottle for aluminum shielding and a second hose/gun/etc so I can swap quickly between steel and aluminum. I have a feeling I'll be wanting to swap often enough I won't be wanting to change liners.

No comments:

Post a Comment